Important Information for Residents and Businesses

A few neighborhoods in Middletown Township suffered heavy flooding damage in both 1996 and 1999. The Township wishes to ensure that all residents and business owners who have suffered damage from these and other storms are informed about flood protection. The following information provides property owners with ideas of what they can do to protect themselves.

Township Flood Services: The first thing property owners should do is check their flood hazard risk. Flood maps and flood protection references are available free of charge at the Middletown Township Department of Licenses and Inspections located at the Municipal Center, 3 Municipal Way, Langhorne. Because your property is located in a flood plain or has experienced a flood, it is important that you review these sources of information and assistance. Township residents can also call 215-750-3800, extension 115, for more information.

Flood Insurance: If you don’t have flood insurance, talk to your insurance agent. Homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover damage from floods. However, you can purchase a separate flood insurance policy. Flood insurance typically covers all surface floods. This insurance is backed by the Federal Government and is available to everyone, even for properties that have already been flooded. Some people may have purchased flood insurance because a bank required it for a mortgage or home improvement loan. These policies generally cover the building structure but not the contents. Usually there is more damage to furniture and contents than there is to a structure. If you are covered, check out the policy and make sure you have contents coverage. Remember, even if the last flood missed you or you have done some flood proofing, the next flood could be worse.

Flood Protection: Flood protection can involve a variety of changes to your house and property -- changes that can vary in complexity and cost. You may be able to make some types of changes yourself. But complicated or large-scale changes and those that affect the structure of your house or its electrical wiring and plumbing should be carried out only by a professional contractor licensed to work in Middletown Township. One example of flood protection is adding a waterproof veneer to the exterior walls of your house. This is something that only a licensed contractor should do.

Homeowners, contractors and businesses can visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website for up to date information on planning, prevention and best practices for flood protection and management .